Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Epiphany

This has more to do with me than our family, although it is affecting our family. For some of you, after reading this you may say 'well, duh'. but for me it has been a real eye opener.

I've recently realized how much STUFF we have, and how much of it we DON'T need! Now I would like to say my house is fairly neat and I'm a real good organizer, but that doesn't mean we don't accrue...things. So, how did this all come about might you ask? A few factors. I began going through boxes downstairs, trying to organize and make room for Jacob to work on finishing more of the downstairs. I found boxes that we haven't opened or used in the 2 years we've been here! The other thing is, we decided to do a garage sale. So I began going through other places in the house to find things we don't need or use. Like clothes! After going through and pulling out things that don't fit, I don't like, or are old, I had only half my clothes left! We did this also with movies and have narrowed it down to about 200 (and put at least that many in the sale). So...part of my epiphany is that I need to be able to get rid of things when they're old or aren't being used and not get things unless I NEED them. An example- Post-its and other notepads (yes I know, strange, but I have a thing for them), keep some get rid of the rest and then buy as I need them.

This has been such a good feeling!! Knowing that I now don't have to find room for all the junk/stuff/things and that what we have is what we need. And when it really comes down to it, we don't need that much. I don't know how to describe it, but it's like I just realized I'd rather just purge (that's really the best way to describe what's going on in our house) all this stuff and kinda start over.

Well now, hope people aren't picturing a crazed Manda throwing things out the window and that our house is now empty. But it will (meaning there are boxes out and about and things being sorted) eventually have in it just what we need and I will be at peace having fulfilled my wonderful epiphany.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I know the feeling. I go through our stuff a couple of times a year now to get rid of things. It feels so much better to not have to dig through the clutter to get something :)

    ReplyDelete